Thread: Another new guy
View Single Post
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Glad to have you aboard. All the information you need and more is here but we still like a good challenge so let is know when you need some advice. I'm not sure about those ape hangers you have on your bike though...

Yeap these little Honda bikes are hard to resist! The good news is that you make a LOT more progress when you are working on motorcycles compared to cars and trucks. It only takes a handful of hours to do a complete restoration whereas the 4 wheeled variety can take a lifetime in comparison. And you can always tuck a motorcycle away in the corner and get back to it later... a car/truck takes up a whole lot more floor space. These bikes are great little mail getters and are great for cruising around the neighborhood to visit friends and whatnot.

Now you get to decide how you want to restore the bike. Are you going the all original route or are you going to make it a custom color and change things up a bit? I recommend doing whatever you want since they aren't worth a lot of money unless they are kept in completely original condition is seems.
Agree on the handle bars. New correct ones came with it. I will go back as close to original as I can. Nothing against customs but I like the aura of these bikes as they are. Wanted whitewall tires but we all know about that but I did get a ribbed front tire and a back that looks right. The seat is not correct but I have ordered one off Ebay along with a lot of other stuff.

I went back and forth between white and black for color but decided on white with my wife's help. She does not ride but hoping when it's done it will make her want to start.

You are right on time required. Should have everything ready for paint with a few more hours of prep. My bead blast cabinet is a real time saver.