View Single Post
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

I have some experience with these 6 volt batteries from a old yamaha enduro I had years ago, and I'm not a fan of being a battery nanny, or it just saying poof i'm done. Of course back then There was only trickle charge with the caps off so it wouldn't take them off for you lol...maybe its better with the new tenders I dunno. But from some sites i've explored indepth talking about the switch over they say its not that hard, that the rectifier etc. hold up fine that even one of these coils can take a lot more than 12 volts. They pretty much say all you need is a voltage regulator 12v bulbs and a battery and your good to go...I have not done this as of yet personally so it's hear say right now, but they said when they went over to 12 volts they didnt change but those 3 things in the early models, whether thats the case or not i honestly dont know, since i havent back checked all of what they said, i'm still in the R of the D all research and as of yet no development... I thought i'd add a direct quote from someone thats made the switch... "on my '74 CB125 motor with a standard (not rewound) alternator. It's been running on 12v for about 500 miles now with a 35w halogen headlight and heated grips.

I bought a Royal Endield regulator/rectifier off ebay for £12, then all I did was connect the yellow and white wires out the alternator together to one side of the AC input and the pink wire to the other side , then obviously the 12v regulated DC output to a 4.5Ah battery.

Changed the coil and all lamps except the headlamp and indicators to LED and all works fine. I did 160 miles last time out, running with headlamp and Symtec heated grips on all day with no problems. As long as the revs are above 4000rpm with everything
on then the battery is charging." several others on there have done the swap too.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-06-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: needed to add a reference