View Single Post
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Well I've been wanting the Rossi Ed. AGV but that model is just too much, even used. Well if it were in front of me and I could try it on it would be a different story. AGV runs some pretty weird sizing when it comes to the fit of their helmets and I just can't take a gamble on what I think will fit my head. So I'll have to pass on their line of helmets.

Next up is the Suomy brand. The purpose of my second helmet is to have a helmet for a passenger, mainly. Then I got to thinking... my RX-7 Arai will cost over $700 to replace if it gets stolen or damaged. I would like to use my second helmet more so that I don't have to worry about it so much and I can leave it on the bike as well without fear of someone swiping it. The Suomy is also too attractive so if I bought one of those it would be kinda hard to justify. The Suomy brand is available to me at a discount but there are some downsides to the helmet that are known.

#1 The plastic parts that are added to the exterior shell of them tend to break. I'm pretty careful with my stuff but I've seen the rear exhaust vents crush rather easily. They make them out of really thin plastic so that they are lightweight but it's too thin! Getting replacement parts seems to be very difficult as well.

#2 They are the loudest inside from the wind noise. I would have to wear earplugs which is a huge pain in the ass.

#3 They are expensive! Seems that even some distributors have been calling it quits because of the low profit margins. Is Suomy being greedy and assuming they already have a premium product that everyone is demanding? I think so. But Arai is all over the racing scene in AMA and other events offering helmets left and right to racers and working with them on custom colors too. Arai won't have any of Suomy gaining any traction in the U.S. If Suomy dropped their prices and moved more helmets in the introductory months then I think they would be in a lot better position with customers.

Here are some shots of the Suomy helmet paint designs I really like and have seriously considered buying: