View Single Post
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Tore into the carburetor. By the looks of the gaskets, it's been a long time since it's been rebuilt.

As I was taking it apart, the two small springs on the left side of the picture below dropped out from I don't know where I hadn't seen them as I was unscrewing everything. Does anybody recognize where these go?

I replaced the plugs and battery. I have spark, but no gas because I've discovered that the tank is clogged. I really thought I got most of that crap out of there, but I guess not...What will dissolve old tank liners without destroying my old tank and paint ???

------

I bought a 'new' tank.

It's from an early model, complete with petcock and chrome/rubber covers for forty bucks and no shipping (it's local).

------

Well, progress has been slow. I've been gathering parts (petcock/carb rebuild kits, and throttle/brake/clutch cables). I've rebuilt the carburetor (my first one ;D). And, I picked up a used early model tank with petcock for $45 ;D ;D. The petcock is way nicer than the ones I have, so I'll be using the rebuild kit on it once it's cleaned up. The petcock was worth what I paid for the tank, and the tank is in really nice shape inside.

Here's the carb after the rebuild

I used a Keyster kit.

The "new" tank after I pulled the chrome covers off. The inside is really nice and clean.

Here's the petcock that came with the tank, it’s in incredible shape!

A very important lesson my dad (a VW mechanic) taught me years ago really rang true when I opened up the rebuild kit for the petcock: "Never throw any parts away, no matter how trashed" I had been expecting this piece to be included, and was very happy I hadn't thrown mine away.

This piece can get really mangled when trying to disassemble these fuel valves, so be careful...

The rebuild kit came with a rubber and a cork gasket...any opinions on which one I should use??

[img] http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/...dc34e6bc_m.jpg [img]

Anyhoo, once I get the tank and petcock cleaned up I should be able to get her to fire up!

------

I learned that the early and late model tank covers ARE NOT interchangeable.

First is the early model tank followed by the cover, then the late model tank and cover.

As you can see, the covers switched jobs with the tanks with the later model. The tank does also seem to be slightly different in shape.

Last edited by Greggo325; 12-17-2010 at 05:53 PM.