View Single Post
Unread 01-12-2015, 11:14 PM

Regarding the tank mounts: I have two '64 CA95s. The first '64 with VIN ending in 00422 has two rear bottom mounts and slots in the front to slide onto 30mm OD bushings on the front frame channel. The second '64 with later VIN ending in 05112 has the four bottom mounts. I have pics of two all original '63s that have the two bottom mounts. A good friend has a '65 which has the four bottom mounts. Another good friend had a '62 with the four bottom mounts. My '60 and '61 both have the 4 bottom mounts.

All eight bikes described above are to the best of my knowledge original unmolested bikes. Based on my research, I believe that Honda introduced the "two bottom mount" tanks when they came out with the new tank design in '63, and then went back to the "four bottom mount" tanks early during the '64 model run. I do not know why they went back to the early design with 4 bottom mounts, as the '63 / '64 front-bushing design would seem to have been superior and is still being used on motorcycles today.