View Single Post
Unread 10-07-2014, 07:23 PM

Default Stever's back on track and one Great Honda Shop

Hi Friends Thank you for your help with my front wheel assembly. As was suggested, de-lacing and re-lacing was good practice. I think the rim spins truer this time around.
I picked through my small pile of hubs and found a pretty good looking one, with proper speedo drive and brake plate clearance. I cleaned it up and polished it and started lacing it up. I had most of the inner spokes in their hub holes when I noticed I was starting to run out a little too soon. "What the heck? I've misplaced two spokes. I must of set them somewhere. Hmmm, they're not on the floor, I'm not sitting on them, ... what the heck?
I can't say how long I sat there scratching my head before it dawned on me that maybe I should count the number of spoke holes on that hub. But when I did, I learned Honda made a 40 spoke hub that is the same size as the 36 spoke hub.
On my third try I knew to check for proper brake plate clearance, correct speedo drive, and to be sure to count the freakin' spoke holes. I found a hub and of course it was the most oxidized rattiest, with seized bearing example I had. Because of the seized bearings, and because I enjoy looking at shiny new motorcycles I took it to Taylor Honda where the guys greeted me by name, cheerfully pressed out my seized bearings, bead blasted the inner drum, and sold me a set of new bearings for a total of 22 dollars, all while I waited.
Hopefully, in sharing my goofy mistakes with all of you, I can be of help to somebody embarking on a similiar project.CB160 back on track.jpg