FourWheelForum

FourWheelForum (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/index.php)
-   Motorcycle Parts Wanted (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Side cover (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=1945)

ThunderMcAwesum 02-20-2013 09:28 AM

Side cover

Sorry to put this here but I didn't want it to get buried in the parts wanted section.

Does anyone have a spare metal side cover I could buy? I have whichever side has the cut out on the bottom but I need the other one.

Thanks!

Larzfromarz 02-20-2013 11:06 AM

I think the metal ones are hard to come by. None of my bikes have had them. There is a set on ebay for $99 a side and they look rough. The guy in covington la has/had one NOS and think he wants $500 for a steel one.

Spokes 02-20-2013 11:46 AM

I think you mean the battery side(right) Those are hard to come by as battery acid usually rotted them out.

Find a good used or new plastic one if you can't find metal. The plastic side covers are paintable.

Good luck.

Sam Green 02-20-2013 03:42 PM

I will have a set of tin ones but haven't a clue where they are at the moment.
If you're not in a desperate rush and don't mind waiting for me to find them, they will not be expensive.

Sam.:)

ThunderMcAwesum 02-21-2013 08:45 AM

Hey Sam

Thanks so much! No rush at all I'm just getting my parts together for the spring. I was about to just cave and buy the plastic ones from Thailand but the purist in me was not happy about it. Can I give you my email?

Chris

Larzfromarz 02-21-2013 08:56 AM

Actually nothing not "pure" about the plastic covers. It's a factory item (not maybe the T-land repops) so no shame in them and less irritating than possibly damaging rarer goodies. In the end it won't change the value of the bike much if any, in my opinion.
Getting Sam's help, however, IS priceless!

ThunderMcAwesum 02-21-2013 09:41 AM

Yea Sam you might be my new favorite person.
Thing is my bike came with one original metal cover so I feel like I should keep it as stock as I can. Does anyone know what bikes got metal ones and which didn't?

Sam Green 02-21-2013 04:49 PM

Is this the one you want ? :D:D:D:D:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB92...92a0822&_uhb=1

Sam.:rolleyes:

jspeedyjj 02-22-2013 04:36 AM

thats insane, i paid less for my complete bike.

Larzfromarz 02-22-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspeedyjj (Post 11549)
thats insane, i paid less for my complete bike.

And that's the problem with this hobby-you can essentially buy rebuildable bikes for $500-$800 all day long. Gathering nice and good parts is the hard work. After a $400-600 set of good mufflers, a few nice side covers, a $100 chain guard, some new rims, all of that polishing, a couple of hundred on a paint job and not to mention your time and love, you could say that this "hobby" is one strictly for the love of the bikes.
With all of the above taken into account and the fact that there are 'enough' bikes to go around, I think its acceptable to deviate from pure restorations ( a way overused term anyway) and 'customize' to the needs for you particular budget.
It can be very easy to get a bunch of money tied up that you'll never see again.
Like I said " For the love of bikes".

ThunderMcAwesum 02-22-2013 09:46 AM

Holy hell. I know getting the right parts is expensive but that is ridiculous! But yes Sam that is the one I need.

Larzfromarz 02-22-2013 10:09 AM

Hey Thunder,
Keep in mind that those shown are Aluminum. Many were steel and others plastic.
It's only a mere $500 if you want the guys NOS steel side cover. That's a bargain compared to the alloy one.
Put a magnet to yours or look for rust vs corrosion (steel vs alloy) to know for sure.
PS the steel ones are harder to find because of battery corrosion. The alloy ones probably more susceptible to damage and dents ( but not hard to repair).

Sam Green 02-22-2013 01:28 PM

Haha, that cover is for the CB92 but you would be hard pushed to tell them apart.
Honda produced some with aluminium covers and they are like rocking horse $hit.:D

Sam.;)

Smithers 02-22-2013 09:24 PM

I wonder if my dads CB92 has aluminum ones now.. :D

Sam Green 02-25-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderMcAwesum (Post 11554)
Holy hell. I know getting the right parts is expensive but that is ridiculous! But yes Sam that is the one I need.

PM sent.