FourWheelForum

FourWheelForum (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/index.php)
-   The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   1960 Honda CA95 Restoration (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=2196)

Michaelclark50 11-23-2014 05:09 PM

1960 Honda CA95 Restoration

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I wanted to introduce myself and my first restoration project. It's a 1960 CA95 Benly "Tokyo Rose" edition. I bought it pretty complete but completely rough! So far I have torn it down to get it ready for paint, polish and re-chrome.

My intent is to restore it to as original condition as possible. I have started gathering parts but still have some important ones to score:rolleyes:

I will post of few pics that show the condition I bought it and then keep posting through the process. Having spent a fair amount of time searching this forum it is obvious that the restoration expertise is here. I will thank you in advance for keeping me on the right path on this adventure.

Northey 11-24-2014 08:40 AM

ca95 restoration

Michael, Welcome, I am also new to this forum. Your bike doesn't look bad. How is the motor? Does it need a complete overhaul? If you need any special parts you can't find I may have or can make it. I fabricate a lot of unavailable parts for my crap I work on. I tried to attach a couple of pict of items but they were too large. I'll try again later. I made a float bowl and petcock including bowl. Good luck, Glenn.

Northey 11-24-2014 08:47 AM

pict of my bike and parts made

5 Attachment(s)
Michael, Here is a few pict of my bike and some parts I made. Glenn.

Michaelclark50 11-24-2014 02:47 PM

Glenn
Thanks. Those are nice parts. I will keep in mind when I get to that point. My original petcock is in tact and I'll have to see what it looks like when I get it cleaned up.
Mike

VegeKev 11-25-2014 01:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Newbie Dudes!

Luv the Tokyo Rose :)…… I would just put a clear coat over the top to keep that colour (yes, there is a "u" in colour down under ;) )

Awesome fabrication Glen…..I reckon thats the way of the future, in keeping these old girls with all their bits on :D……though I have to admit I have just replaced the original petcock with a HD replacement :(…..the one bit I would change with the replacement would be to turn up a base plate that utilises an o-ring to seal against the tank instead of goo :o

My bike is not quite 'original', but Hey, I like it :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Kev.

Sam Green 11-26-2014 02:09 PM

It looks like you have a good start there Michael, good luck with it.

Sam.:)

Michaelclark50 11-26-2014 04:21 PM

Thanks Kev and Sam. This is fun. I hope I'm still sayin' that at the end! I just finished de-rusting tank and it looks great. I have a little free time next week and will try to post progress pics.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Roberd42 11-26-2014 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum too. I have been waiting to be approved by admin to post. Took a month lol. I bought my modified 63 benly around the first of October for $700 in Atlanta, GA, US. It was a basket case, motor in a box. It's a cafe style build (there's enough of you stockers out there :D, Go Rockers!). I just finished modding the drag bars for the internal throttle and wiring. I'll post more pictures when I get done, probably late spring. Here's a couple pictures of how it looked when I picked it up.

Roberd42 11-26-2014 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another

Michaelclark50 11-27-2014 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberd42 (Post 13723)
Another

Cant wait to see the progression of your build. Good luck:)

Sam Green 11-27-2014 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberd42 (Post 13723)
Another

Roberd42, is your bike a C95 or CA95 ?

Sam.:)

Roberd42 11-27-2014 05:59 AM

CA95 late model SN CA95E-4011917. Matching engine/frame numbers. Apparently some of the dream 305s and earlier models came with mismatch numbers. I guess the engines and frames were built and numbered independently sometimes.

ByTheLake 11-28-2014 05:57 PM

Hello and welcome to the new members of the forum. It's wonderful to get some new projects underway here.

Michael, the rose bike looks great - we've seen much rougher. The exhaust looks quite good in the pictures.

Looking forward to the updates.

Kevin

Roberd42 12-08-2014 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
She's shaping up! Got the motor mounted up today and some bits put on. Waiting on carb jets. Im still hem hawing on what to do with the headlight possibly an LED conversion. The tank had a nice leak on the inside wall. I will be TIG welding that up and putting a new coat of paint on it. I will take the bike by a local touch up shop to get some dings and scratches fixed up once its mechanically sound. How does the starter cable route through to the solenoid? Also, which bolt holds the cable stay on the bottom of the motor?

Michaelclark50 12-08-2014 03:40 PM

I looked back through my pics from the teardown but didn't see any shots of how that is routed but I'm sure someone else here can describe that for both of us! Man, I love the way this is looking. The black and white colors look great. I hope to do some similar customization on my next project. Sweet bike. Keep the pics coming.
Mike